Monday, January 26, 2009

Blue Monday

Happy Blue Monday, hosted by Sally @ smilingsally.
To see more wonderful participants of Blue Monday please visit Sally at http://www.smilingsally.blogspot.com/

I knew that I had to incorporate blue into my Florida home. I can't help but be inspired by the turquoise water of the Gulf of Mexico. The blues that I favor are turquoise and a grey blue. Both of these colors are reflected in the water on a sunny or a cloudy day.
I always like to mix some nature into my displays. The birds nest fell out of my grapefruit tree in the backyard. I'm always on the look out for found objects. I layered two plates and the starfish on a large plate stand.

The large plate is blue grey in color and the smaller is turquoise. The smaller plate was another thrift store find. I believe it was $3.oo. I can't seem to pass up this color when I see it.

This blue plate is iridescent and reminds me of carnival glass. More thrift shop finds with the plate and also the two baskets. I decided to create a display in the baskets for some interest. Alas, another birds nest sitting in a lime green dessert glass.

I just love thrift shops and garage sales. I guess it's the thrill of the hunt. Does that mean I'm a hunter and gatherer? Well, I know I sure like to gather. I found this lovely coral candle holder and knew I had to bring it home. It has openings in the top for tea lights, turquoise of course. The books that I have displayed have blue spines and also refer to water in their title.

More books with blue spines. These are all decorating books. Don't even ask me how many I have. The moving men hated me.

This display is on my mantle. I fell in love with the blue grey color of the vase. Some simple orchids, a starfish, some books for lift and we're done.

My displays don't last long because I like to tweak. Things are always changing at my abode.

I hope you enjoyed my blue tour.

Till next time, Happy Decorating

23 comments:

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Love it all! So beachy. I guess you are hunter and gatherer in one :) I'm not such a good hunter and I try not to gather anymore because it was getting to crowded around here! I've been purging for two weeks and hoping for some clutter-free peace soon.

SmilingSally said...

I enjoyed the tour. I think that the soft blue/gray color in the final shot is pleasing. It denotes relaxation. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Love your blues scattered here and there...love each vignette!

Also like your new blog look...seems to change every time I visit!

Anonymous said...

I will definately be on the look-out for the starfish while in the Bahama's next week...and anything blue ;D This is my first Blue Monday and I'm finding I'm going to have to keep an eye out...LOL!

Blessin's♥

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen, as a gather and hunter you have done a wonderful job. All of your blue vignettes are lovely. You have a good eye for decorating in a lovely way.

Hugs...Jeanne

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I love it all! The beachy look is so airy and always reminds me of the time my hubbs and I escape to the central coast :0)
Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your beachy blues in such a lovely setting. I enjoyed the turquoise shades.

Kathy b

Anonymous said...

Love your star fish with the blue.
I have one in blue and one in pale green and of course a white one.
Happy Blue Monday
Love Claudie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Kathleen, it looks wonderful! I love it all! Each of your vignettes is as great as the next. And I can't believe you found that plate for $3! Great find. :-)

Happy Blue Monday...

XO,

Sheila

Sweetie said...

I love your beachy look and the way that you incorporated blues in your decorating. Happy Blue Monday!
Sweetie

Unknown said...

I love that blue plate!

Anonymous said...

Ooo, what a lovely post. Your blues are wonderful..I specially love the blue vase. Happy Blue Monday..have a lovely day.

niartist said...

What a beautiful vignette in those wicker picnic baskets! love love love that blue Kathleen! Thanks for the tip about CCity. I don't know that I need a new camera just yet - I think this one may just need a quick repair. We shall see.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, everything is so beautitul! Makes me want to get my filp flops out! lol
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

The blues you chose to showcase are very pleasing to the eye. I enjoyed scrolling through :0)
Happy blue to you!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I really enjoyed the tour. I'm so glad I stopped by!

Have a good Blue Monday :-)

LADY JANE said...

From one hunter and Gatherer to another...beautiful post!

Carlotta said...

I love how you have everything displayed. The blue plate looks like the ocean. I often thought about changing things out in my space, like maybe taking down the Christmas trees and decorations to start. Can't wait for you to start online design consultations. I could use your help when we move to our new house.
~Carlotta~

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kathleen, I love your banner, SO pretty! And I love all your books and seashells. I can see we have some things in common. Looking forward to getting to know you this year.

akawest said...

Not only are you a hunter and gatherer, but an extremely talented arranger of beautiful displays.

Remodeling Guy said...

I'm a sucker for a starfish! Love all the Florida Style! I guess I would, I'm a true native, born and raised in the Tampa Bay Area. I love your header image too, BTW.

Remodeling Guy

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I love your beachy theme! Makes me want to pack my bags and head to Florida!...Debbie

kymber said...

Hi Kathleen,
Love all of your blues! You have such a lovely home I always enjoy seeing how you "tweak" things.

You have a grapefruit tree in your back yard! How cool is that!

There is nothing like the thrill of the hunt is there? It is always so satisfying to find that special treasure that is not only beautiful, but inexpensive.

Thanks for sharing!
Kymber