Monday, December 29, 2008

Coastal Christmas



I found this mantle several years ago in western Pa. while attending class and a conference. I drove to Erie with my husband, three dogs and a bird. Can you tell it's hard for me to leave my babies with someone else? We knew we had to have it, plus a few other goodies. The question was, how to get everything home in an already packed SUV? Well, my husband is great at problem solving especially when you are in the "just got to have it mode"

Off he went to the u-haul place, rented a trailer and hitch and we loaded her up. I have to tell you we never travel light. We almost got divorced on a camping trip, but that's another story for another time. My motto is, Never take a decorator camping because we always have to make it look like home. Need I say any more.


Well anyway, back to the mantle display. I fell in love with the two pieces of art above the mantle and knew if I didn't get them I would never see them again. My theme was a Coastal Christmas, so I kept everything in a white, silver, blue with a touch of gold color scheme. I had most of the decorations left over from a display that I did for a bank. The nativity was another thrift store find and the white figures fit right in. I placed long lighted branches that are glittered in silver behind the manger to make it sparkle. Yesterday I noticed that the donkey jumped ship. I think a little puppy was keeping herself busy. At least she didn't chew it.

1 comment:

~*~Leanne~*~ said...

Hi Kathleen, I just love the way you decorate! Love the shells!

Stop by my blog...you have been tagged! Hehehe

Leanne